Financial Aid

Financial aid is funding provided to students and families to help pay for postsecondary educational expenses


Who is eligible for Aid?

Any student whose expected family contribution (EFC – the amount that the family can contribute toward the annual cost of education) is not equal to the cost of attendance at the college where he/she has been admitted is eligible for aid. 

What about State Financial Aid for DREAMers?

Eligibility for several Washington State financial aid programs has expanded to include students who are ineligible for federal financial aid due to immigration status. Students who meet individual program, income, or residency requirements for the State Need Grant, the College Bound ScholarshipState Work Study, or Passport Scholarship should complete the free WASFA (Washington Application for State Financial Aid) to apply for state financial aid. Visit Ready Set Grad for additional information. See more resources for Dreamers/1079 students. 

Is there a financial form we need to complete?

YES, the FAFSA or WASFA needs to be completed by the student and the parents. This online form includes questions about the student’s income and assets plus the parents’ income and assets. If you want to get financial aid for college, you MUST complete a FAFSA/WASFA. 
After October 1 of your senior year of high school, you should complete and submit your FAFSA at or WASFA at

What if I need help filling out the FAFSA/WASFA?

Visit your counselors or college and career access specialists in the career center at your high school to get help with the application process. Do not be afraid to ask—there are ways to pay for college for EVERYONE. The earlier you begin the paying for college journey, the better to chance you have to receive the amount of aid you need.
Every Highline Public Schools high school hosts FAFSA/WASFA completion events in October & January. Check with your counselors or college and career access specialist for details.